The Voice on 18 Feb 2003 19:47:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] I'm Baaack

Wonko--

Thanks for bringing me up to speed... I think all the business with speeders and stuff like that has been the biggest change. I followed the Overlord thing a bit, but not a whole lot. I have a proposal for next Nweek that hopefully can clear that whole thing up a bit, a __Fixing The Council__-type prop. Wait and see...

-0-The Voice-0-

From: Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] I'm Baaack
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:32:05 -0500

It's good to be back... *glances around*... what have you done to this place?

Well, the prominent issue of late has been the 'overlord' thing, which happened as follows: 1) Orc changed the society rule, incorporating what might have been interpreted as a loophole
2) Glotmorf exploited the loophole
3) Glotmorf bribed bd to judge that the loophole was legal; whether it actually was is debatable, as the two unbribed judges disagreed 4) Lots of people started yelling and screaming. This was rather unfortunate; we could have been arguing about something interesting, like whether an interpretation established by a judgment was valid if the judge openly admitted that e didn't agree... or whether the judgment was, in fact, legal... but we did not. We yelled and screamed at each other for a while, and in the end, the issue faded away without ever actually being resolved. However, whether or not it was legal at the time, it's fallen into the Statute now.

Anyhoo, the mess left Glotmorf with the power to enact any change to the gamestate e wished, so e set up the office of the Overlord, a player able to perform any gamestate change which another player petitioned em to perform.

This struck many people as being no better than the original rule giving em power, and so it was subsequently modified by the Baron, one of Glotmorf's Underlords (who could do what Morf could, but only with Morf's permission).

Thus we have the gamestate as it is now:
Absolute power resides in the Coucil of Elders, a dysfunctional group of misfits who never agree on anything - one is opposed to ever using power, one isn't actually playing anymore, and the other three are never all present at once.

The Overlord issue is no longer being debated, but, as you can see from recent discuss threads, the scars have not faded. Everyone is too stubborn to put the issue behind them; not enough people support any given point of view to get a repair proposal through in any direction.

Meanwhile, the Grid now sports armies owned by every player... or at least, it could. Like most spiffy Grid concepts, nobody's done anything with it lately.

BTW, you're now the only player who's ever been capable of holding eir own hand... if you can get Orc to give it up. It's a nice little voter for the weather rule, if I remember correctly; but I don't think anyone's done anything with the weather since you left.

Other things may have happened, but I'm not sure what you already know... When exactly did you leave, and how much attention have you paid the game, if any, in the interim?

--
Wonko