Glotmorf on 26 Dec 2002 20:40:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Magna Carta

> [[ Glotmorf, thanks for reminding me that this
> Overlord mess still
> exists. Though a surprising number of people
> actually like the rule,
> I still take issue with its form, which was only
> possible because you
> used to be able to smite down any attempts to change
> it.]]
>
> I propose:
> __Magna Carta__
> {{
>
> 1. Create a rule:
> __Foo__ {* 101 *}
> {{
> Rule 1229 may be changed by a proposal entitled
> "Magna Carta". This rule
> takes precedence over Rule 1229.
> }}
>
> 2. Remove section D [[Modification]] of rule 1229.
> [[Nothing is
> immutable.]]
>
> 3. Set the Chutzpah of Rule 1229 to 3.
>
> 4. In section C of rule 1229, change "4/5" to "2/3".
> [[You expect 4/5 of
> the Nomic to ever agree on anything important?]]
>
> 5. Declare Glotmorf to be Not the Overlord. [[This
> step will still
> require 2/3 to vote Yes, and is not essential for
> the rest of the
> proposal to have its effect. But I feel that for the
> rule to have merit,
> the Overlord should have to be elected legitimately
> - even if it ends up
> being Glotmorf again.]]
>
> 6. Repeal the rule entitled "Foo".
> }}

Heh.

Be advised, there's something of a Dick Cheney
situation here...According to the current version of
the Overlord rule, if you remove me as Overlord, there
is indeed an election...but it's between any current
Underlords, which at the moment are bd and Baron von
Skippy.  Re-electing me isn't even an option, since
I'm not an Underlord.

So if you consider taking me out, you'll have to
decide which, if either, of them you want to replace
me.  I would like to think that I have acted
relatively benevolently whilst in power.

Interestingly, while bd and the Baron, if they're
interested in power, might vote in favor of a proposal
that takes me out, since that would mean one of them
would take my place, they would probably vote against
any proposal that took them out as well.  With a light
enough voter turnout, their resistance to being ousted
might be enough to keep me in power...

-- Glotmorf