Wonko on 22 Nov 2002 01:31:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] This Foolishness Must End!

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

>> From: Wonko <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,
>>> All right.  The way I see it, if Glotmorf's society could change a rule
>>> (which I don't think it could), then mine can certainly change rules.
>>
>> Well, no, the society rule has been rewritten since then. Any hole that was
>> there is certainly not there anymore.
>
> Hmm.  Got my wires crossed again.  According to the judgement of that CFI +
> rule 18 + the current rules, societies can do almost anything except change
> the rules.  Which means my little win scam worked.  Whether or not Wonko's
> fix worked.

No, all the CFI decided was that Glotmorf's actions were legal at the time.
It doesn't mean that they'd be legal now - the ruleset has changed since
then. Likewise, one of the game's first CFI's declared the creation of
points legal; that doesn't mean that it's still legal, because it's been
fixed since then.

>> The Game should now be back to normal. Notice that, unlike Orc's attempt at
>> fixing the game, the gamestate will be exactly the same regardless of
>> whether or not the things I did were legal, because I've changed the
>> gamestate to match the state it would have had nothing out of the ordinary
>> ever happened.
>
> Well, lets see here... I patched the current hole and fixed other minor
> problems, and gave myself a game-recognized spacesuit.  What's so bad about
> that?

The problem is that the state of the game still depends on the CFI. With
mine, regardless of which way the CFI falls, the gamestate stays the same -
if it's not legal, then I couldn't have fixed anything, and if it was legal,
then I fixed things to the same state they would be if it hadn't been.
Either way, the gamestate is set.

--
Wonko