Baron von Skippy on 18 Nov 2002 17:58:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] yet another prop idea

                                                  [[BvS]]

Ok, BvS, how's this list:
Human
Orc
Dwarf
Elf
Ogre
Fairie
Blob
Alien
Insect
Robot

-Yeah. Let's see... keep Human, of course, and Orc, but maybe drop Goblin (similar to Orc), keep Dwarf, Elf, and Faerie, and drop Gnome- that's just a bit already taken. That leaves 8. 8 is a far more reasonable number, IMHO. And diverse enough that each race is a distinct choice.-

Well, now there's 10. I include Alien, Insect, and Robot both so that Drone players have a choice (oh, they could take Blob too, but that's already guaranteed); and I feel they could still be unique. Plus, some of them will have in-game applications; football robots and robopilots could be given the Race attribute, and perhaps expanded in function.
-It's a little much, but I suppose you're not going to cut any more, so I won't press the point. I'll grant you that they're not homogenous enough to warrant any more cutting.-

-Maybe Drones could be Aliens. Or maybe we could ditch Drone as a gender. Does the Scarf even exist any more? Either way, maybe replace Alien with Insect. Good to see that we're agreed on Gnomes and Goblins, anyway.-

Yes, and Iain has it. And it will likely stay with him for a long time, as Iain hasn't done anything for a long time. Why is e still a player, anyway? You can watch without being a random object collector.
-E keeps voting, so e stays a player. Past that... I dunno.-

Once per nyear, an Entity that has a Race may change eir Race to a Standard Race.
-Change? That should cost something. We're not talking about changing pants here. This is your genetic makeup. I suggest a nice Gnome to act as a catalyst, but I'm a little biased.-

Yeah, I agree, it shouldn't be easy. But but until we figure out a better way, this works. And I would rather it not be Gnome-based, but that's just me.
-Life Core, perhaps?-

Ah. Took a minute to fully develop the idea, and incorporate it with how I already designed Life Cores, but yes, that sounds good.
-I was kidding. I see you're just a wee bit biased as well.-

-Make Newbies' races be chosen by eir mentor, to be changed to one of eir choosing at the end of eir mentorship. Then have Newbies act as servants to eir Mentors. I'm mostly kidding, but if this could be worked out... oh, Idea. Change "Mentor" to "Sponsor." Sponsors have to fork over some sum of points/BNS to allow a newbie into the Game, and the Sponsor gets an indentured servant for a few nweeks. Thoughts, folks? If no one goes nuts with problems, I might propose this. I mean, at the moment Mentors do absolutely nothing and get a meager 5 points, which, considering all they did was put themselves into the Pool, is pretty fair, but not exactly exciting.-

Hmm.  Let's go nuts:
-Okay. *does so*-

What exactly is meant by 'Servant'?
-Not sure, haven't really thought it out. Perhaps eir Grid actions are controlled.-

Sponsors would be more likely to exploit Newbies than help them.  Not good.
-That would indeed be the point of indentured servitude.-

What if no one wants to fork over points/BNS? Then people won't be able to join. Ditto for if no one has enough to pay.
-Make there be a fee to get into the Mentor Pool. No Mentors in the Pool, then no Mentors, too bad, welcome in anyway.-

Mentors may actually do something in the future. I have yet to be tested...
-I'm skeptical.-

Cordially,
Orc In A Spacesuit

[[BvS]]