Orc In A Spacesuit on 17 Nov 2002 18:50:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] yet another prop idea

From: "Baron von Skippy" <baronvonskippy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
The following are Standard Races:
Human
Orc
Dwarf
Elf
Ogre
Goblin
Fairie
Gnome
Undead
Blob
Alien
Enigma
-Cut a few. You have almost as many as we have players. That's a lot. You're close to just giving each player eir own stats, no races needed.-

Well, I don't want people to feel left out (either now or in the future). I put in common choices, and included Enigma just cause that's the best 'race' I could equate with an @. Maybe I'll cut Enigma and bd can get something else, and Undead can go too. Blob's made for Glotmorf, but I feel it's unique enough to stay.

In addition, just as we have Gremlins and the Yeti now, we may have other things created in the future that have different races. May as well get them out. Oh, that reminds me-I should add Robot for all those Drones, and maybe Insect as well. Well, I guess overall the number of races remains the same... maybe we can ditch Goblin. I also just realized that Gnome is in that list, and has a special meaning in this game, so it's out too.

Once per nyear, an Entity that has a Race may change eir Race to a Standard Race.
-Change? That should cost something. We're not talking about changing pants here. This is your genetic makeup. I suggest a nice Gnome to act as a catalyst, but I'm a little biased.-

Yeah, I agree, it shouldn't be easy. But but until we figure out a better way, this works. And I would rather it not be Gnome-based, but that's just me.

I don't want to do it just yet, but I would imagine attributes like Strength, Speed, and Wits be assigned based on those races, and those attributes could be used to determine other things, like how far you can run on the grid, whether or not you need someone else to pilot your airspeeders (cause you don't know how to fly them), and how much weight you can carry (if we ever assign weights to objects.

In addition to that, things could be made race-specific. BAC could be scalable (oh, and drinking could modify intelligence--not that it would matter to Ogres). Perhaps there could be a Lute that only an Elf could play (making Music more interesting... I gotta go work on that), or other race-influenced items, such as Glamdring, bane of my people.

-I think if you keep it to those three, maybe add a fourth, attributes, it's fine. Past that, it's too complex, too fast. You've got a good base idea. Now, will it go places, or will it sit and linger, because no one has any ideas to follow it up with?-

Yeah, those 3 are good. Maybe add in a Weight attribute, if we assign weights to different objects. I personally would love to have an Ogre servant pick me up and carry me around.

Cordially,
Orc In A Spacesuit