Orc In A Spacesuit on 26 Oct 2002 17:40:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Number Guessing 2

From: "Jeremy \"Athena\" Cook" <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

> >From: "Jeremy \"Athena\" Cook" <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx>
> >Change Proposal 1171 to the following:
> >{{
> >Create a rule:
> >{{
> >__Number Guessing__
> >Any player not in the Number Game may Join the Number Game by
> >mailing the Administrator secretly 5 integral coordinates between -10 and > >10 inclusive and announcing to a public forum that e has Joined the Number > >Game. A player may Guess a player's numbers who has Joined the Number Game > >by announcing to a public forum a 5-coordinate guess and paying the player
> >e is Guessing the coordinates of 2 points. The Administrator must then
> >reveal to a public forum the distance between the guessed point and the
> >actual point under the standard metric. If the distance is 0, the Guessing > >player receives 30 points, and the guessed player Leaves the Number Game.
> >A player may not Guess eir own numbers.
> >}}
> >}}
>
> That still does not stop 2 players working together.  Make the 30 points
> come from the other player.
>
> Orc In A Spacesuit

No. That's too big of a penalty. No one would Join.

Athena

I sure as heck would. With 21 different number in 5 different coordinates, a guesser would have a one in 4084101 chance of guessing right. I'd encourage you all to guess away. But if you feel the answer could be guessed by how close the guesses are, reduce the award. Or maybe scale the reward, making it 30-(the number of guesses so far).

Whether or not you do this, you do need to deal with the fact that this is easily exploitable by two people working together.

Orc In A Spacesuit
thinks this will be fun, but wants it fixed.