David E. Smith on 20 Oct 2002 03:47:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 24 RESULTS

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Wonko wrote:

> > Proposal 1066/0 (To Curse Once More) (Wonko):
> > Wonko gains 10 + 7 (Literary) = 17 pts.
> > (The Haiku Bonus doesn't apply, sorry.)
>
> Why doesn't the Haiku Bonus Apply?

The Haiku Bonus only applies if the entire proposal fits into Haiku form.
There's lots of other prose around those three lines.

Hm. You're right. There's way too many definitions of 'haiku' in there.
Keen. You get another 10 points that you'll lose after we handle BvS' win.
:)

> Actually, now that I look at the Immunity Idol rule, it looks like the
> proposal itself has no effect. So all those rules were never created. That's
> interesting... it means I have to repropose the bloody thing, but it also
> means I got 16 points for nothing :)

The "Immunity Idol vs. Gremlins" clause in r293 could probably be read
either way -- I choose the version that's less bizarre (IMO anyway). The
rule was created, but can't actually do anything.

This is *another* of the things that I'm not sure why it's there 'cept
maybe for nostalgia -- the number of times the player carrying the
Immunity Idol actually gained any practical benefit from it is rather
small, since things like GremBall and such have largely gone away,
thankfully.

Someone should clean out most of the Gremlin-related stuff and just tie
the Idol into Nomvivor; it'd make rather a lot more sense that way.

> > Proposal 1083/0 (Chads, Hanging and Otherwise) (The Voice):
> > AFF: Athena, bd, The Voice
> > NEG: Baron von Skippy, Glotmorf, Lord Gregarian, Orc In a Spacesuit,
> > Squire of Dimness
> > SHL: Wonko
> > Counts (Y/N/A/S) : (3-5-0-1). Measure fails. Measure is shelved.
> > Created P1138/0.
>
> How does this get shelved? There were more Negative than Affirmative and
> Shelve together?

That's why I fixed the broken shelf. If you read the previous version
carefully, even one 'shelve' vote meant the proposal was shelved. (If
you're especially picky, it might even be argued that all failed proposals
should've been shelved; that's why I fixed it and kept my mouth shut.)

> > Proposal 1095/0 (Nweek 24 Insta-Prop) (House Grem):
> > Once again, the Gremlin votes make this one pass. House Grem scores 13 points.
> > Yippee. The Insta-Minister shall attend to this.
>
> No, they don't. "Players may vote. Other game entities may vote only if
> explicitly permitted to do so by a rule which takes precedence over this
> rule." - Rule 15
>
> I believe that was added specifically because of Gremlin Voting. They most
> definitely cannot vote. Do I really have to CFI this?

This has come up about a half-dozen times in the past few nweeks. That
sentence was added because of Gremlin Voting, but Section F of rule 578,
Chutzpah 2, takes precedence over rule 15 in that regard.  I'm not happy
about it, but that's the way it is. (I didn't want the second sentence in
the above-quoted section of r15, but it seemed to be the only way to get
that particular 'less-is-more' passed.)

...dave