Glotmorf on 10 Oct 2002 11:41:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] The Library

On 10/10/02 at 1:10 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>On 10/10/02 at 12:34 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
>>
>> >You all remember my Gallery proposal earlier this nweek, the one about
>us
>> >submitting pictures of ourselves, without actually affecting the game,
>> >right?
>> >
>> >Well, I had another idea, and have started another project.  Perhaps The
>> >Library will be completed soon.  And no, I'm not looking for another
>> >ministry.
>> >
>> >Orc In A Spacesuit
>> >begins the construction.
>>
>>By "library", do you perhaps mean a really big FAQ, including writeups on
>>various topics?  I'd thought of that once, and was going to call it the
>>Ministry of Information.  It could include different types of indices to
>>the rule set.
>>
>>What'cha got?
>>
>>						Glotmorf
>
>*sighs*  Well, I had planned not to give away details until later, when I
>could present it, kind of like how I did with the Grid in 3D (which I plan
>to update at either the end of this nweek (but including changes that
>happen
>at the beginning of the next), or upon resolution of the possible SOE.
>
>Anyway, I was looking through the archives, trying to elicit the original
>purpose of Societies, and I noticed how full of life the game has been
>(and
>how there was actually 3 whole nweeks in a month), and how props back then
>still had the stories written in, like BvS's infiltration of the DimShip
>warehouse, which was the first one I saw.  After seeing this, I decided to
>solidify two ideas that I'd had floating around in my head.
>
>First, I'm creating a sort of History Book for BNomic.  I'm going through
>the entire game archives, and writing the summaries of what people did,
>and
>including the [[story]] text in the props.  This isn't a log, although
>someone should be able to reconstruct the game with it, but much more -
>I'm
>putting in my comments, annotations, links, the works.  I'm making it for
>posterity, for new players (including myself), for reference, and as a
>guide
>to the 'spirit of the game' for the CFI judges.
>I plan to put it into multiple formats, including plain text, Word
>Document,
>HTML, and perhaps Adobe .pdf, if I can get a hold of someone with the
>software.

I have a couple packages for perl-based, server-side .pdf generation, and Joel's approval for trying them out on his machine.  I'll move doing so up the queue.

>The other thing will be ongoing, similar but not identical.  I plan to
>continue this with events as they happen, but with an additional, primary
>purpose: A guide to Dave as to what the 400 messages on public and discuss
>mean.  What I mean is, I will type up everyone's (attempted) actions, like
>recognizer, but constantly update it with the results of the latest
>arguments.  I will try to keep in unopinionated, and if people are in
>disagreement about something (ie--Wonko did something), I will summarize
>eir
>arguments, letting Dave take a look at the actual email.
>This second part I plan to start once everything settles down a bit.  If
>we
>can get a definitive Recognizer and clear the CFI's off the table, I will
>have a good base point from which to begin.  As of right now, I have no
>idea
>what's going on.  That's partially why I am using so many 'if this is
>true'
>and 'if I can' conditionals on my actions, and why I had that lengthy
>formula for how many points I borrowed.  I've actually decided to stop
>doing
>anything complicated or not essential or for a while.

What I'd like to see...hell, what I'd like to do...is an implementation of some sort of "groupware" package that allows people to enter, say, a proposal that other people can tag comments and suggested changes onto.  This could even be the basis for a proposal, by summoning up an existing rule and making proposed changes to it for others to review.

Containing comments, arguments and the like on proposals to a groupware forum other than the main mail stream should seriously cut down on what Dave would have to wade through.  Allowing one to add one's own proposal to the ballot, and even modify it as needed, without involving Dave should cut down his workload tremendously, not to mention let us see what the current status of a proposal is.

The downside of this is that it would have to be a screen-based-browser application, and the last time I took a shot at browser-based action submission forms I was told some people in the game are limited to Lynx and the like.

Perhaps it would be useful to have multiple fora, one for one purpose, one for another, so that at least one could look through one sort of foo at a time?  Proposals and proposal changes don't necessarily have to be in the same stream as CFIs, votes and miscellaneous actions.

						Glotmorf