Wonko on 6 Oct 2002 01:30:05 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Elves

Here's a rough sketch of what I've been thinking about, with comments:

{{
__Elves__

A. Definition
A.1 Elves

There exist entities called Elves.
//I don't know whether it would be too complicated to give them types...

A.2 Squadrons
/*
The idea here is that Elves never do anything by themselves; they always
function as part of a team of Elves. Of course, if enough Elves in a Squad
die, you could get a team of 1 Elf. But it'll hopefully be hard to do.
*/

Squadrons, or Squads, are Passable MO's. Each Squad consists of a certain
number of Elves. All Elves must always be in Squads. A Squad with no Elves
in it is immediately destroyed.

A.3 Combat
/*
This section I think could be done better, but I'm not sure exactly how. The
way it's currently set up, the number of elves in the squadron with the
least elves is the highest number of elves that can die per turn. This is
because if, say, 5 Elves attack 50 Elves, it makes sense that they can only
kill 5 Elves before the remaining 45 hit back. OTOH, if 50 elves attack 5
elves, there are only 5 that can be killed.

The entire process is simple enough that a script could be written really
easily to do it.
*/
A Squadron of Elves may attack another Squadron which is in the same square
or an Adjacent square to the attacking Squadron. When this happens, the
following sequence shall repeat until one of the Squadrons has no Elves:

2(1d(n+1))/3 Elves of the Defending Squadron, rounded down, are destroyed,
where n is minimum of the numbers of Elves in the attacking and defending
Squadrons.

2(1d(n+1))/3 Elves of the Attacking Squadron, rounded up, are destroyed,
where n is minimum of the numbers of Elves in the attacking and defending
Squadrons.

A.4 Hiring
//Here I'm at a loss. I'd like for players to somehow hire them from the
//Bank, and Corporations should be able to get them too, but as for pricing
//and such, I dunno. I've also been considering having them cost, say, 50
//BNS a nweek to maintain, or else they revolt and go up for auction...

Any entity may pay 200 BNS to the Bank to get a Squad of Elves. The Squad is
initially at the entities location, unless this is not a legal Grid Square
for the Squad to be on, in which case a random legal Grid Square is used
instead.

}}

I actually have more than this, but a lot of it's not typed up yet and
depends on Corporations and Technologies first.

--
Wonko