Wonko on 30 Sep 2002 01:23:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Wonko learns to Vote

Quoth Glotmorf,

> To quote Ronald Reagan: "There you go again."  You're saying that just because
> there's a general rule it blows all the specific rules away.  I still say
> there's no conflict.  Players can vote, yes...within the context of the rest
> of the rules.  Which includes the Witch Gremlin.

I think you're acting under the assumption that more general rules defer to
more specific rules. This idea was mentioned at one point, but never
implemented. The current system is that high-numbered rules defer to
low-numbered rules.

So, for example, I'm allowed to vote this nweek, because a relatively
low-numbered rule says 'players may vote'. It doesn't mean, 'players may
vote unless another rule forbids it'. It means, 'players may vote unless
another rule forbids it *and supersedes this one*'

There is no rule which forbids my voting AND has the power to override the
rule which says I can. Now, if you'd like us to determine precedence based
on general vs. specific, feel free to propose it, and I'll probably vote for
it, as it makes more sense than numerically. But at the moment, the general
voting case is the law.

--
Wonko