Daniel Lepage dplepage on Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:39:23 -0400

[BNomic-Public] Re: [Bnomic-private] The Daily Recognizer (Wednesday evening)

Quoth Baron von Skippy,

>> can

>>> -[[Well, some things are back, and some aren't... spoon-discuss and
>>> spoon-business are not working as far as I can tell.]]
>>
>> Isn't that what Dave means by 'waiting for the DNS to get caught up'? The
>> thing doesn't know where Joel is yet.
>>
>> --
>> Wonko
>>
> -*blank stare* Maybe. What's a DNS?-

I don't remember what the acronym stands for - something Network Server or
something like that. But as I understand it, when you ask for, say,
cornell.edu, the DNS is the thingy that knows what to connect you to, that
is, knows where the actual cornell.edu sever is. If it doesn't know where
your server is, it looks around, querying other servers, etc. This is what
happens during that long pause between when you hit enter and when explorer
tells you that it can't find nomic.net. If neither the DNS nor any of its
buddies can find the server, it tells you that it can't be found.

Or at least, that's how I understand it. I'm not an expert in this field, so
anybody that actually knows what I'm talking about, please correct me if
I've said something really stupid.

--
Wonko