Wonko dplepage on Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:28:41 -0400

[BNomic-Public] Miniplayers

Quoth Baron von Skippy,

>>> I had an idea: What if we allowed people to join the game not as full
>>> players, but as 'miniplayers' - people who could only do things like run
>>> around on the Grid, buy stocks, etc. So people who like the idea of the
>>> Grid
>>> could do the Grid thing, but they wouldn't have to worry about making
>>> proposals or voting on things. For them, the Grid IS the game. For us,
>> they
>>> provide a way of making the Grid more interesting. Also, if they can use
>>> the
>>> Stock Market, then they can provide that randomness we were talking about
>> -
>>> if three dozen people are buying and selling stock, no single player can
>>> exert too much influence, but the prices can still be based on how well
>>> they
>>> sell.
>>>

>>> Is this a good idea, or am I nuts?
>>> I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive conditions, are they?
>>
>> You're not nuts, or at least not in this respect.  uin had a similar idea
>> with...what did he call them?  "Disinterested" players?  People who didn't
>> participate in the grid, weren't subject to the sushi or gremlins or
>> anything like that, that only were involved in proposals, voting and
>> judging.  I was against it at the time because it amounted to him affecting
>> the game but not being affected by it, which I found objectionable.
>>
>> What you're suggesting is the crystallization of subsets of the game as
>> games in their own right, with a policy-making layer over top...sort of
>> like if the management of neopets.com was a nomic game.  Interesting idea,
>> but wouldn't it take rather a lot of work to make the subgames something
>> people would want to play in their own right?  At the moment, neither grid
>> football nor gremball are up to the standards of average pbm games...
>>
>> Glotmorf
>>
> -Well, so far as there not being appreciably interesting subsets to the
> Game, that might be about to change a bit, or more accurately a metric
> buttload.. In any case, even if we as full players don't see the point to go
> to a lower position, doesn't mean that others wouldn't be willing to assume
> those positions. I think this is a viable thing to do, and so long as it
> didn't resemble Disintrest too much, I'd be willing to back it.-

I suppose the people this most needs the approval of is the Ministers -
after all, they'd be the ones who'd have to track all the Miniplayers.
Although perhaps it would be better to have a Minister of Miniplayers - The
MiniMin, say - who would track all their attributes...

As for the fact the football and gremball aren't up to pbm standards...
wait.

--
Wonko