Glotmorf on 14 Aug 2002 03:00:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] ooh, entropy!

On 8/13/02 at 10:51 PM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Baron von Skippy,

>page

>words
>>> I'll
>erroneous
>>>
>>> What about your proposals this nweek?
>>>
>>> Glotmorf
>>>
>> -What about them? Dave didn't announce my high entropy until today. I
>wrote
>> 'em all before that. Unless you want me to rerelease all of my s-b
>messages
>> since I bought a lot of Gnomes, which ain't happening...-
>
>Does high entropy matter? Yes, the entropy rule forbids you to post words
>of
>more than one syllable. On the other hand, you went ahead and did it
>anyway.
>Shows what the rules are good for.
>
>It's another case of Nomic rules trying to regulate real life - the rules
>can accept input from the real world, but they cannot directly force things
>to happen in the real world.
>
>Don't worry about Entropy restrictions. They're not really there.
>
>--
>Wonko
>There is no Restriction.

But is there a spoon?  And is it a spoon-discuss or a spoon-business?

I thought the prevailing theory was that the gamestate consisted of the accumulation of legal actions, and that if a message posted to the public forum doesn't constitute a legal action it doesn't affect the gamestate, and therefore the mere fact that it's on the public forum doesn't mean the action is in fact performed...?  That what we perceive as the gamestate from seeing all these messages isn't necessarily what the gamestate is?

Which is why we have this rule that says, if as part of our collective hallucination we acted as if a given action posted to the public forum was in fact legal, whether or not it was, the gamestate gets adjusted to what it would be if that action was indeed legal.  Les'n someone objects.

So is someone gonna object?

						Glotmorf