The Voice on 24 Jul 2002 16:34:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Less Is More: Ministries

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 7/24/02 at 11:40 AM The Voice wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>On 7/23/02 at 6:33 PM The Voice wrote:
>>
>> >I left out the part that says that you can only hold one Ministry at any
>> >given time.
>>
>>I once had an idea that someone who is currently holding a ministry could >>be elected to an additional ministry, but that the required percentage of
>>the vote in eir favor increased based on the number of ministries e
>already
>>held.  Like the first ministry only requires 1/2 the vote, the second
>>requires 2/3, the third needs 3/4, etc.  As in, (N/N+1), where N is the
>>number of ministries one currently holds, plus one. Whaddaya think?
>
>Maybe if they were voted into the ministry this would work, but what if
>they
>were non-voted ministries, like you and I and WC?  By specifying one's
>self
>in the rule/proposal, one gets around this.

True, but it still becomes an issue if the ministry later goes up for election.

Ah yes, that is true.

>> >I made Ministries permanent-- they no longer only last for an nyear if
>>you
>> >win an election.
>>
>>"...Unless specified otherwise in the rule that defines the ministry"?
>
>Hmm... maybe.  Again, perhaps it could be permanent for non-voted
>ministries
>and temporary for voted ones.

Thing is, you've got this term "ministry" that will/must have certain properties associated with it. Just because a ministry is non-voted as of the point of the proposal that creates it doesn't mean the minister won't quit the job or the game down the road, or that no one will give em a no-confidence vote.

So what you have to do, to be on the safe side, is to set up properties associated wth the term "minstry" that cover all cases, then, if necessary, build exceptions to those properties into individual instances of ministries. Granted, if later statements in a rule override earlier statements in a rule, all you have to do is list all the ministries last and you can accomplish this, but it's still good to set up a default.

						Glotmorf

Well, then, I think you are confusing what I was trying to say there. Granted, you have a good point. Perhaps Minister is a better term than Ministry. A player who is made a Minister by a proposal or a rule [[a non-voted Minister]] remains that Minister until they quit or are removed. On the other hand, a player who is made a Minister through a vote [[a voted Minister]] remains that minister until they quit or are removed, or after one nyear, whichever comes first.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-