Glotmorf on 17 Jul 2002 06:53:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] proposal

On 7/17/02 at 2:21 AM Dan Waldron wrote:

>> No.  No, and again no.  We can't regulate "non-public-forum"
>> communication, because that includes casual email, phone,
>> face-to-face, totally unrelated nomic games and/or webpages...No.
>> Maybe in a face-to-face game among friends we can try to regulate each
>> other's real world, but not here.
>>
>> And if we can't use comments to at least explain what the monosyllabic
>> gibberish is supposed to mean it would royally suck.  In my opinion.
>>
>> 						Glotmorf
>
>Wait before you jump to conclusions about this one.  Read the bit about
>the fines at the bottom.  If you really _have_ to use a multisyllabic word
>the fine is only 10 points.
>
>There's more!  It only regulates conversation with players in this game on
>subjects relevant to this game and the slip has to be caught within an
>nweek.  So I can tell my non-playing friends anything I like.  You can
>post non-game-related messages to the email list without penalty.
>Finally, if you and I have an off-list conversation we can use whatever
>length of words we like if as long as the admin doesn't find out.

"These restrictions also apply to any non-public forum communication with
players on the subject of this game or nomic games in general."

That's from your proposal.  That's a little more than conversations, since you don't define "communication"; some might argue that it's a tree-falls-in-the-forest thing, that "communication" doesn't occur until someone receives the information.  So something I wrote last year counts as a communication if someone reads it right now.

Your text also covers a little more than subjects relevant to this game -- it says "nomic games in general".  So it could be this game, it could be some other game, it could be some game that hasn't started yet, or that had ended some time ago, or it could mean the overall concept of the game without mentioning any game in particular.  Hell, the word "nomic" itself has to do with nomic games in general.  And it's two syllables.

So let's see what-all this includes...

-	Email between players.
-	Email to the Administrator (votes come to mind).
-	Comments made in any way during other concurrent Nomic games that other players in this game play or have access to.  I'm only playing one game at the moment, but I do know others play simul games.
-	Comments on the Nomic discussion board at www.nomic.net.
-	Webpages that happen to mention the word "nomic" that players might stumble across (or seek out).  Including my Insta-Ministry page, my former Blind Nomic game, a Nomopoly game I'm setting up on the side, my personal webpage that mentions my interests...

And that's only what I can think of offhand.  I'd sooner sit in the front row of a Gallagher show (he used the sledgehammer long after the Sledge-o-Matic routine) than worry about my hard-earned points being schlepped away as a result of my life outside this game.

						Glotmorf