Glotmorf on 3 Jul 2002 01:49:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] the really final solution

On 7/3/02 at 1:39 AM David E. Smith wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Glotmorf wrote:
>
>> Lookit.  I was willing to give up on DimShips because there was enough
>> resistance to keeping them the way they were that I thought I'd let
>> someone else come up with something that everyone can agree with.  I
>> thought both the concept and the story line still had lots of potential,
>> but I'm not ready to sacrifice my position in the game for their sake.
>
>I'm not trying to give up on Societies, by any means. (And I can't
>practically give up my position in the game, without making life a lot
>less fun for everybody. :)
>
>I merely want to get rid of them in their current form -- one which is
>inherently flawed in many many ways -- so that, perhaps, they can return
>in a less crapulent fashion.
>
>It may be possible to fix them, just as it may be possible to fix
>DimShips. But as with many projects, the best way to fix things is to wipe
>the slate clean and start anew.
>
>Societies provide few real, practical benefits -- the ones that exist
>provide a nominal discount on Gnomes (a relatively useless game object, at
>least thus far) to a couple of players, and allow Glotmorf to have a
>couple more proposals than e would normally be entitled to receive.
>Theoretically, they could be used to overturn CFI rulings, but that hasn't
>yet happened. In the interim, they give me a lot of unpleasant
>administrative overhead, clutter up the database with weird "special case"
>code, and generally add overhead to the whole game for very little
>benefit.
>
>They could be useful in many ways, but this simply ISN'T the case.

It's not the case that they're useful in many ways because use hasn't been made of them in many ways yet.  That's why I came up with subsection G.2, so that people could set up societies without having to go through the rigamarole of a proposal, and maybe make use of some of those features.  Things like pooling votes, or points, or style, or (planned later change) grid objects.  Those are the sorts of things that the new societies rule allows for, which was only created last nweek, which means there hasn't been time for people to make proper use of it.

It's worth noting that the bulk of societies you're proposing get destroyed weren't created using the current societies rule.

						Glotmorf