Glotmorf on 29 Jun 2002 07:28:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] spot the loophole!

On 6/29/02 at 5:56 AM David E. Smith wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Joel Uckelman wrote:
>
>> Can you do Jedi mind tricks if you're a Jedi Master? [Waves hand.] "This
>> isn't the proposal you're looking for."
>
>I was just thinking about adding a Jedi Mind Trick, probably to force
>another player to change eir vote, but I'm trying to figure out how much
>Force it should cost for the sake of balance.  Too cheap, and everyone
>changes everyone else's votes with wild abandon; too expensive, and it
>just isn't any fun.
>
>I was also thinking of putting in something like telekinesis - there was a
>small scene in SWI (The Phantom Crapulence) where Qui-Gon manipulates a
>"chance cube" (why they didn't just call it a die, I may never know) - for
>a reasonable cost, a player can, before a die is rolled, attempt to
>influence its outcome. The only die rolls I can think of that occur with
>any frequency are the ones for moving the Yeti, Curt and Rod, and the
>Gremlinometer updates, though, which limits its utility somewhat.
>
>Heck, if I can find that copy of "Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game" (the
>good West End Games version, not the new d20 one where Force-sensitivity
>is a Feat and thus pretty much everyone can be a Jedi), I may just start
>stealing abilities wholesale from it.
>
>Would having players choose allegiance between the Light and Dark sides of
>the Force be overkill?

Les'n you want to introduce teams based on the Light and Dark sides, I'd say so.  More reasonable, perhaps, is that certain actions players take cause them to lean closer to the Dark side or the Light side, with certain bonuses and restrictions for whichever side one is currently in.  Kinda like what alignment in D&D really should be, as opposed to banners to rally under.

						Glotmorf