Dan Waldron on 19 Jun 2002 19:14:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Societies

> Then this is another Bad Thing.  At the moment, Societies can make
> proposals.  That, I believe, constitutes a change to the gamestate,
> inasmuch as the set of proposals and the ballot are considered part of
> the gamestate.
>
> It's starting to look like your master rule is gonna require all sorts
> of exceptions just to preserve the status quo.

Doesn't the ability for societies to make proposals come from outside the
charter of the actual society?  It would be stupid to allow the internal
rules of a society, which might not be subject to the same democratic
process as our main body of rules, to give permission for that society to
take actions not allowed by the main rules.

But you are right--I'm going to check and make sure that glotmorf's
proposal and mine work together properly.  It might be that we have
accidentally chopped off the ability of societies to make proposals.
There are two ways it could be done:

1. put a bit in physical law that grants societies the action of proposal
submission.  This is a bit problematic because proposals are only defined
in the mutable rules.

2. put a bit in the mutable rules that allows a player to submit a
proposal _on behalf_ of a society.  This is probably the most sensible
way.

I'm going to go see if we've screwed anythng up, and if we have, fix it.

Dan