Rob Speer on 16 Jun 2002 23:48:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Proposal ideas

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 05:10:36PM -0400, Dan Waldron wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, David E. Smith wrote:
> > Proposal 1:
> >
> > {{ __Wht Dd U Sy?__
> > Add to Rule 257, at the end of the numbered list, the following:
> > {{
> > 6) Remove extraneous or ambiguous abbreviations from existing rules (but
> > not proposals or CFIs). The Administrator must post notice of the
> > correction(s) made to a public forum within 1 nday following this
> > adjustment.
> > }}
> > [[ Anyone hit by Entropy syllable limits must still express themselves
> > adequately during the proposal process, but once something make it into
> > the ruleset, I think some of those abbrevs. should be cleaned up. ]]
> > }}
>
> I feel that this is too nearly a complete workaround for entropy.  And if
> the abbreviations are unclear it could actually change the interpretation
> of the rule.  But I would be happy if we make it work in conjunction with
> a list of standard abbreviations.  Perhaps any player could add a word to
> or remove a word from the standard abbrev. list provided that there are no
> objections within 3 ndays.

It seems to me that the proposal is intended to _prevent_ the cheap
workarounds we're seeing now. Right now people use the "quoting"
loophole to use big words in their proposals, because they wouldn't want
the ugly abbreviations going into the ruleset. If they didn't have that
as an excuse, they might just use the abbreviations.

But then, standard abbreviations sound like a good idea.
--
Rob Speer