Glotmorf on 5 Jun 2002 16:50:59 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: DimShip rewrite

On 6/5/02 at 4:01 PM Wonko the Sane wrote:

>>If a player owns a DimShip and has launched it, then rules other than
>this
>>one that check eir dimension values will check the values of eir virtual
>>dimensions. Rules that change the values of dimensions, though, will
>change
>>eir real dimensions.
>
>I'm still a little leery of two things - 'check' and 'virtual'. I'm still
>not convinced that the virtual things work, and it's not always clear
>whether or not a rule is actually 'checking' something or not. Besides,
>why
>distinguish between checking and setting? I'd suggest something like this:
>
>"If a player owns an Active DimShip, then eir dimensions shall be treated
>as
>if they were equal to the sum of eir actual dimensions and the virtual
>dimensions contained by the Active DimShip. The previous sentence does not
>apply to this rule."

I'm trying to prevent deficit spending.  Unless you want to design a credit system, there might be a problem with:

buy a DimShip
set the DimShip's buoyancy to 100 score
buy another DimShip

Were it not for the single-occupancy provision I stuck in another paragraph, this could spiral down to negative infinity on real score.  As it is, it allows someone to spend 100 points e doesn't have.

It helps prevent, like, you know, whatcha call...scams.

I'll give the wording some more thought.  We've got four more days before the first vote, right?

						Glotmorf