Rob Speer on 2 Jun 2002 02:42:55 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: CFI 754

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 02:55:58PM +0100, Naath Thabana wrote:
> Statement: Wonko has won the game since the start of
> nweek 16.
>
> Judgement: Indeed e did.
> Resoning: Dimships do not look at your dimensions
> every second, they only look at your dimensions when
> they establish you 'new' dimensions.  This means that
> when you buy you first it look at your actuall
> dimensions and adds whatever buyancy you selected to
> these.  Then, a second dimship will look at you're
> 'new' dimensions when it goes to find your 'real'
> dimensions.

Let me look up how to appeal a ruling, because I now see several reasons
that that interpretation is incorrect. The main one being that if the
DimShip rule can apply to itself in the case of multiple DimShips, then
it has to apply to itself for a single DimShip, bringing about the
undefined values.

And parts of this ruling are rather muddled and confusing - what in the
world do you mean by "when you buy you"?

> Yes Wonko did manage to increase his score beyond
> 1000, so he won.
>
> So we can declared Wonko victorious in B-nomic.
> Ignore everything else that went on since and start
> all over again.  I suggest calling it C-nomic.

The hell?!

I rather _like_ B Nomic. Why abandon it over a bit of confusion and a
Win? Ending the game at a Win, first of all, is not specified in the
rules, and is not supposed to be; and it would set a terrible precedent,
because the person who is winning would not want to feel that in doing
so they are destroying the game! An unfortunate incident of timing
indeed caused A Nomic to end after my win, but we can do better this
time around.

The game must go on!

--
Rob Speer