Rob Speer on 28 May 2002 04:35:29 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Kick in the ass, a great big kick in the ass, dum dum dum doo.

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 10:33:08PM -0400, Alex Truelsen wrote:
> -Or not... How the hell was I supposed to know that was a hoax? (Don't
> answer that, I have a way now.) Perpetuating is one thing, but being an
> unknowing victim? Being CAUTIOUS? If you wish to attack people because they
> don't know the names of every file on their hard drive, and don't know of
> every hoax out there, then I think you're the one who needs the Kick in the
> Ass.-

I'm sorry, but how is passing on an e-mail message instantly without
bothering to check its validity "being CAUTIOUS"? In the case of most
e-mail chain letters it's just dumb; in this case it was actually
harmful.

If you were to search for "jdbgmgr.exe", "bear virus", or any such
phrase on the Web, you would find a multitude of pages explaining the
hoax. In fact, if this virus were REAL, it would still be a good idea to
do a web search. What are the odds that an e-mail passed through
hundreds of people would still contain the correct instructions for
removing a virus?

--
Rob Speer