Dan Waldron on 27 May 2002 04:56:52 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Physical Law/Mutable Rule

> First of all, welcome back. :)
>
> Regarding "Charter Rules"...Whilst doing the family thang over the
> weekend I got well underway on a Less-is-More-ism for Societies, which
> should both simplify things and clean up some of the issues Wonko's
> been jackhammering into the walls...It might make an impact on what
> you're considering a Charter Rule.

Charter rules are the least important part of my rule split.  I'll be
happy to adapt them to suit the society system, however it turns out.

Actually one idea that I've been working on is to scrap the definition of
Mutable Rules and make the Mutable Rules a specific instance of a Charter
Ruleset which applies to all players.

> Aside from that, I haven't studied your proposal in too much depth,
> and done the cross-reference thing and all -- did you really do a
> total ruleset markup?  someone buy this boy a respect point -- but if
> you're worried about it failing, why not do a sort of placeholder rule
> with a grandfather clause, that defines the classes of rules, and
> gradually shift rules into the classes?

That's a good idea.  My plan breaks a lot of rules in weird ways.  For
example, Entropy, which would be perfectly fine as a Physical Law refers
to Proposals, which otherwise could be entirely dealt with by the Mutable
Rules.  So now I have to rewrite Entropy.  If I use a placeholder rule
then Entropy, and others like it, can wait.

Dan