Glotmorf on 21 May 2002 04:12:01 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: A bit of Neatness

On 5/20/02 at 5:53 PM Wonko wrote:

>We've got too many Gnome Rules. So,
>
>{{
>__Neatening up Gnomes__

"Less is More" is becoming a movement.  Cool.  Maybe it'll take me less than ten minutes to find things in the rules now...:)

A few changes, though, that perhaps you can make while you've got the unit unassembled...?

>A.3. Gnome Throwing
>
>Gnomes can be in a grid location or in the posession of a Player.
>
>If a Player and a Gnome are in the same grid location the Player may pick
>up
>the Gnome.
>A Player who has a Gnome may throw it at another grid location or at a
>Player in another grid location. Gremlins cannot be thrown at Players who
>are On Leave.
>If a Gnome is thrown at a Player, the Player must, as an action, catch the
>Gnome within two ndays of it being thrown. If the Player does not or cannot
>catch the Gnome, the Gnome hits the Player, who then loses 1d4 score points
>to the Player that threw the Gnome; the Gnome then loses 1 hit Point and
>falls where the Player is standing.

Change "Gremlins" to "Gnomes".

>A.5. Gnome Bags
>
>Each player has a Gnome Bag. Any player who has a Gnome may place it in eir
>Gnome bag. Any player with a Gnome in eir Gnome Bags may take it out at any
>time. Gnomes in Gnome bags are treated as if they were Basic Gnomes until
>they are removed.

"with a Gnome in eir Gnome Bags" to "with a Gnome in eir Gnome Bag"

"Gnome bags" to "Gnome Bags"

>A.5. Mixing Gnomes
>
>If a player has more than one Gnome that is possessed by em, e may mix eir
>Gnomes together, which destroys both Gnomes and creates a new one. Gnomes
>may only be mixed as explicitly permitted by the rules.

Change "both Gnomes" to "the Gnomes thus mixed".  Under subsection C, it's possible to mix three Basic Gnomes.

>A.7. Garbage Cans
>
>There exist objects called Garbage Cans. Garbage Cans are passable,
>stationary objects. There is a Garbage Can at each Elbonian Airways
>location
>Any player who holds a Gnome and is in a square consecutive to a square
>that
>conatains a Garbage Can may Throw Out a Gnome in eir possession, destroying
>the Gnome and gaining 5 points.

Add a "." after "location".

>B.3. Fire Gnomes
>
>There exist Gnomes of type Fire. If a square is occupied by either an Fire
>Gnome or an entity which holds a Fire Gnome, then the square and all
>entities in that square lose the attributes Frozen and Wet, and any Brooks
>in that square are destroyed.

"an Fire Gnome" to "a Fire Gnome".  Les'n of course that's a silent F.

>B.6. Earth Gnomes
>
>There exist Gnomes of type Earth. Earth Gnomes have 3 hit points. An Earth
>Gnome may be squeezed by the player holding it at the cost of one of its
>hit
>points to turn the Brook the squeezing player is standing in into Mud.

How about adding, "If the squeezing player is not standing in a Brook, the Gnome still loses a hit point, but there is no other effect."  Or make the squeezing conditional on a Brook.

>B.10. Beer Gnomes
>
>There exist gnomes of type Beer. Beer Gnomes have three hit points. Beer
>Gnomes may be squeezed by the player holding them at the cost of one of
>their hit points to produce a Can of Beer, the drinking of which
>immediately
>destroys the Can. When a Beer Gnome runs out of hit points, it becomes a
>Beer Can. This rule takes precedence over rules 441 and 498.

Take out the last sentence.  This paragraph will be in r441, and r441 is before r498.

>B.12. Sheep Gnomes
>
>There exist Gnomes call Sheep Gnomes.
>There exist objects called Shears. Any player who does not have Shears may
>pay 5 points to get them. Any player who possessess both Shears and a Sheep
>Gnome may Shear the Sheep, in which case e gets a Cotton Sponge and eir
>Sheep Gnome turns into a randomly selected other type of Gnome.

Either leave the Shears where they are, in r549, or add r549 to the rules to be repealed.  I'd suggest leaving the Shears where they are for now.  They might fit better under a consolidated Objects rule.

As for reining in the Rain of Sheep, how about:

"At the beginning of a nweek, if no Sheep Gnomes exist, 2 Sheep Gnomes shall drop upon random squares on the grid. If a Sheep Gnome lands on a square occupied by an impassable object, then the Sheep is destroyed and the square it landed on, each square consective to that square, and all objects and entities in those squares gain the attribute Wet. If a Sheep Gnome lands on a player, that player loses 1d4 points to the Gremlin Fund."

I rather enjoy the idea of Sheep Gnomes plummeting from the sky. :)

>C. The Wine List
>
>The following mixes of Gnomes are permitted:
>
>A Winter Gnome plus a Water Gnome makes an Ice Gnome.
>
>A Summer Gnome plus a Air Gnome makes a Fire Gnome.
>
>Three Basic Gnomes makes a Gnome of a random type.
>
>A Winter Gnome plus a Summer Gnome makes a Yoyo Gnome.
>
>A Fire Gnome plus a Ice Gnome makes a Yoyo Gnome.
>
>A Water Gnome plus an Herb Gnome makes a Tea Gnome.
>
>A Grain Gnome plus a Water Gnome makes a Beer Gnome.
>
>An Earth Gnome plus a Grain Gnome makes a Potato Gnome.
>
>An Earth Gnome plus a Summer Gnome makes a Grape Gnome.
>
>A Winter Gnome plus an Earth Gnome makes a Russian Gnome.

Change "a Air Gnome" to "an Air Gnome".

>Repeal all rules with the keyword 'Gnome' except r441.
>Repeal all rules with the keyword 'Gnomes'. [[Sheep Gnomes is the only
>one]]
>Repeal r632. [[Garbage Cans]]

See the comment for B.12.

						Glotmorf