Wonko on 20 May 2002 20:14:41 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Dead Fish

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 5/15/02 at 5:39 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> I think that Babel Fish is not working properly. I put the following into
>> it
>> (minus the {}'s):
>>
>> {This is a test. I have recently observed strange behavior coming from this
>> device, so I will now endeavor to ascertain this website's validity. Here
>> goes nothing!}
>>
>> And got this out of it (again, minus the {}'s):
>>
>> {website's?}
>>
>> In light of its failure, I have concluded that whatever last bit of fun we
>> could squeeze out of it is probably gone. I change my vote on prop. 677 to
>> No. I'm rooting for the full repeal.
>>
>> --
>> Wonko
>
> This is examination. Me the all observed the conduct which is strange recently
> from system, am like that I will endeavor the fact that now ascertains a
> website's propriety. From here anything is not the branch,!
>
> *    *    *    *    *
>
> That's what I got.  Did you delimit it or something?
>
> Glotmorf

Okay, I just ran some tests. Here's what happened (note: all texts below
were put in and recieved without the {} delimeters enclosing them):

This was fed into both Netscape and Explorer, and run from English to
Korean:
{
This is a test of the emergency sushi system. I will now attempt to
determine whether the word scrambling system we employ is out of order, in
working order, or incompatible with certain browsers only. Here we go!
}

Explorer returned:
{
??? ???? ?? ??? ?? ??. ??? ?? ?? ? ?? ???? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???, ? ???? ,??
??? ????? ???? ?? ????? ??? ? ??. ??? ??? ?? !
}

Nescape returned:
{
??? ???? ?? ??? ?? ??. ??? ?? ?? ? ?? ???? ?? ??? ??? ??? ???, ? ???? ,??
??? ????? ???? ?? ????? ??? ? ??. ??? ??? ?? !
}

Each string was then fed into its respective creator and run from Korean to
English.

Explorer returned:
{
}

Netscape returned:
{
This is examination of the state of emergency sushi system. Now right Riga
at the outside of the order which the word system which it employs mixes up,
inside one ordering, or it is equally divided only I to the browser which is
positive and will attempt the fact that. From here we go,!
}

This would suggest that Internet Explorer is incompatible with AltaVista.

I also tried plugging Explorer's korean into Netscape, and Netscape's Korean
into Explorer, and neither returned anything.

So the only way Babelfish seems to work is if it's used entirely in
Netscape.

Conclusion: Microsoft sucks.
--
Wonko