Glotmorf on 28 Apr 2002 04:10:05 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Changing votes

On 4/27/02 at 9:40 PM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> On 4/25/02 at 10:27 PM Wonko wrote:
>>
>>> Quoth Glotmorf,

>wordth
>making

>ith

>incorrect
>>> cast on a
>proposal
>>> can't

>>> and 1?

>>> Actually, R4 - "Every modification to a revisable object that does not
>>> eliminate it from play creates a new version of it."
>>>
>>> OTOH, R19 - "Proposals may only be revised by their original author."
>>> suggests that the Admin may not be able to rectify things at all.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wonko
>>
>> What about r255, the typo rule?  One could argue that if a document has
>a typo
>> in it, it's a nonexistent form taking up space until the new, typo-free
>form
>> can come and take its place.  Hence, fixing a typo isn't a
>revision...it's a
>> rectification.
>>
>> Glotmorf
>>

>Revision isn't defined, so we must use the standard english definition - To
>revise is to reconsider and change or modify. The proposal said one thing,
>then changed to say another; it was clearly modified.
>
>--
>Wonko

The key word there isn't "modify"...it's "reconsider".  It implies a change of the intent of the one making the proposal: "I have thought it over, and I have decided I would rather be saying this new thing instead of what I was saying before."

A typo, however, is a mistake, something that was not part of the proposer's original intent, especially if that mistake was introduced by someone other than the proposer.  Correcting a typo, therefore, is not reconsidering and modifying intent, but is in fact producing a reflection of the original intent, which wasn't reflected earlier.  Since a proposal with a typo isn't a true expression of the proposer's intent, it isn't the real proposal; the real one is the one without the typo.

						Glotmorf