Glotmorf on 20 Apr 2002 21:56:23 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: DimShips do.... what exactly?

On 4/20/02 at 10:56 AM Wonko wrote:

>But one's actual points cannot go negative, so could not one spend points
>you don't have using virtual points, then get those points back by
>disabling
>the DimShips points?
>
>--
>Wonko

Ya know...I looked all over the rules, and I couldn't find anywhere that says points flat-out can't be negative.  Rule 21 does say, "whenever a rule states that a player loses points, the number of points in eir possession shall be lowered accordingly, but it shall never become less than zero"; this could be interpreted to mean that specific point losses can't take points below zero, but not necessarily that points can't be set to a negative value.

If that argument is valid, it means one can use a dimship to spend oneself down to minus-100 actual points, and thus be 100 points further away from scoring a win.

If that argument isn't valid, I'd note that since the virtual points are a displacement from actual points as a result of the buoyancy value, lowering virtual points by spending them should also lower actual points, with the buoyancy staying the same; therefore, one's spending of virtual points should stop at a point where the buoyancy would drive the actual points below zero.

As for other dimensions, there's nothing I can find that says any of them can't be negative.  In fact, I should be able to spend myself into an infinite deficit on style points buying filibuster titles for myself.

						Glotmorf