Wonko on 13 Apr 2002 04:10:45 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Ministries

Quoth Donald Whytock,

> Most Esteemed Bean...
>
> Your proposal currently reads,
>
> "There exist titles defining Ministers of the form "Minister of X", where X is
> a unique designator. These titles are known as Ministries [[ This is a good
> enough defn for now ]]. A Ministry may only be assigned to a player as
> expicitly allowed by the rules. Only one player may hold any given Ministry at
> any given time, and a player may only hold one Ministry at any given time."
>
> I'm not sure I completely agree with the last sentence of that.  Some
> ministries may prove extremely simple to perform, especially at the same time
> as certain other ministries.  It may be feasible, and even expeditious, for
> players to hold multiple ministries under certain circumstances.
>
> I've a suggestion: For a candidate to be elected to a ministry, require him to
> receive, not only a majority of the votes cast, but at least (N+1)/(N+2) of
> all the votes cast, where N is the number of ministries he currently holds.

For that matter, what's wrong with having two people acting as Co-Ministers,
if something really nasty needs to be Ministerialized?

> Also, regarding,
>
> "A Vote of Non-Confidence is a proposal."
>
> Given that the failure to perform duties may occur at the beginning of the
> nweek, and the proposal will only be acted upon at the end of the nweek,
> should there be some sort of action accompanying the proposal that suspends
> the minister from his duties until the issue is resolved?  Just to get
> whatever he's supposed to be handling handled in the meantime?

If e's failing to perform eir duties, why suspend em? "You're not doing what
you should. So I order you not to do what you should!"

Also, does this mean that we could SHELVE a Vote of Non-Confidence? Or the
admin could Veto it?

> On another note, is electing ministers something we want a quorum for?

Quorum like what? You mean, at least 2/3 of all players must vote, that sort
of thing? 'Cause if we do, we might have trouble getting ministers if a few
people go On Leave...

> Glotmorf

One thing I'd like to see in this proposal is something along the lines of
"If a player is a Candidate to be a Minister, e may refuse eir nomination,
in which case e ceases to be a Candidate"

Right now we could force people into Ministries they don't really want.
Unwanted ministries would be bad.

--Wonko

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali