Eric Gerlach on 11 Apr 2002 02:05:00 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The propothal I mithed

At 09:51 PM 2002-04-10 -0400, you wrote:
On 4/10/02 at 7:55 PM Eric Gerlach wrote:

>{{
>__The Ministers of the Realm__
>
>{{
>__Ministers__
>
>There exist titles defining Ministers of the form "Minister of X", where X
>is a unique designator.  These titles are known as Ministries [[ This is a
>good enough defn for now ]].  A Ministry may only be assigned to a player
>as expicitly allowed by the rules.  Only one player may hold any given
>Ministry at any given time, and a player may only hold one Ministry at any
>given time.
>
>Any proposal that would create a rule that defines a Ministry must also
>create rules that define the Powers and Responsabilities of that
>Ministry.  These rules may all be conincident.
>
>The Powers of a Ministry is a list of actions.  A player that holds a
>Ministry may perform any of the actions in the Powers of their Ministry as
>if e were the Administrator.
>
>The Responsabilities of a Ministry is a list of actions that a Minister
>must perform.
>
>The Administrator may perform all the duties of any Minister if e so
>chooses.  The Administrator may also hold Titles which are also
>Ministries.  This rule supercedes Rule 263 in this regard.
>}}
>
>{{
>__Ministerial Elections__
>
>If at any time no player (or The Administrator) holds a Ministry, an
>Election is called for that Ministry.  The Election consists of two
>phases:  a Nomination phase immediately followed by a Voting Phase, each
>of
>which are 5 ndays long.  The Nomination phase of the Election begins at
>the
>first beginning of an nday after the Ministry is not held by any Player or
>The Administrator.
>
>During the Nomination phase, a player may nominate another player or
>emself
>for the Ministry by declaring so in a public forum.  After a player has
>been nominated, a player may second the nomination by declaring so in a
>public forum.  If a nomination is seconded, the player nominated becomes a
>Candidate for the Ministry.  The Administrator is always a Candidate for
>every Election.
>
>At the end of the Nomination phase, the Administrator shall issue a List
>of
>Candidates for the Election containing all the names of the Candidates for
>the Ministry.
>
>During the Voting phase, players may cast one vote for one name on the
>List
>of Candidates for the Election by doing so in a public forum.  [[ Public
>voting only for Ministers ]]  The Administrator may also vote for one name
>of the List of Candidates, however there is no limit to the number of
>votes
>The Administrator may make.
>
>At the end of the voting phase, the player (or The Administrator) whose
> [...]

First off, "responsibilities" doesn't have an "a" in it...:)

Oopth, I hope that the adminithtrator ith kind enough to fix that.

Aside from that, it's an interesting idea. I'm only worried that performing certain ministries might require access to the server that neither its owner nor Mr. A would be willing to provide. Sufficient coding might allow a given ministry to be performed...but sufficient coding might also make a ministry entirely unnecessary.

I think ith greatetht uthe will be with thingth like Gremlinth, or The Grid, where the file can be anywhere... in fact I think that the firtht Minithter I'm going to propothe will be the Minithter of Electhionth, rethponthable for handling Minithterial Electhionth. I think that hath a thertain inherent beauty to it, n'etht pas?

Like I thaid though, Minithterth will have to be approved by the admin. You'll note that even if a Minithter geth created by a rule, The Admin can uthurp em by taking the dutieth on emthelf (by voting for "The Admin" 1 000 000 timeth during the electhion :).

Certain things can be accomplished on other servers, like Yahoo with its sharable file and notepad folders and Delphi with its flat-file databases, though for safety's sake anything not on the main server should probably be backed up from time to time, since players do, for whatever reason, disappear.

Exactly. I think for many thingth we don't even need that much.... jutht thomthing akin to what you did with your PIG calculator.

Is this a first, or have other Nomics tried distributed administration?

I'm thure other nomicth have done thith... I jutht can't think of any exampleth.

Bean