Jonathan Van Matre on 6 Mar 2002 20:34:55 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: One more sausage to cram into the can...

If 2 players are conspiring to pass the scarf back and forth to each other, it only takes a majority vote on 1 proposals to forcibly remove it from their possession, or even ban them from receiving it in the future.  I think that's enough deterrent for a crime we haven't even had a problem with thus far.  With the exception of Rob, no one has even had it more than once, and e only got points for it the sceond time.

Still, if you're concerned about that, why not remove the Izing instantly as suggested previously, but also change the Scarf rule to forbid a player from awarding the scarf to the player who awarded it to em.

Even that is a bit of a limit on the Scarf, since some players may be Stylish in streaks, and deserve the Scarf more than once in rapid succession before receding back to a more natural level of style mediocrity.  The idea was to recognize specific cool acts when they happen, but a 100% or even 80% spread-it-around approach limits our ability to recognize them.

Then you get the Susan Lucci effect -- if you give her an Emmy now, when she did her best work years ago, you're rewarding her for inferior work.  What one should have done, of course, if give her an Emmy back when she was at her peak and clearly deserved it.

Likewise, as the list of available recipients shrinks, we may find ourselves overlooking really cool stuff to reward someone whose only proposal that nweek might have been "Phat Dawg wins B Nomic.  Neener neener."

--Scoff!