Wonko on 5 Mar 2002 03:02:39 -0000

spoon-discuss: Another Brief

Below is what UP sent to Spoon-Business, that turned into p377.

<proosal>
<title>So damn ugly.</title>
@@@
Amend rule 129 by replacing the current text with the following
MONUMENTOFGRANITE-delimited text:
MONUMENTOFGRANITE
20 days after the Administrator, in a message to all players, makes any
statement about the rules or game state, the rules and gamestate shall be
altered what they now would be had that statement been true at the time it
was made, unless in the intervening time any player objects to the statement
in a message to all players, in which case the usual methods for determining
the current rules and game state shall apply.

This rule takes precedence over all other rules.
MONUMENTOFGRANITE
[["It's simple, succinct, and elegant.  What more could you want?" - Bean]]
[[Now with added lack of dependence on other rules. Slightly more
redundancy, but slightly more ability to get us out of a broken game /
paradox situation.]]
@@@
</proosal>

The statements
"I object to the statement by the administrator that p377 passed.
I object to the statement by the administrator that p377 received six
affirmative votes.
What the hell...I object to the statement by the administrator that p377 was
recognized and part of the ballot."
mean that "the usual methods" should determine whether the statements are
true. The usual method is, if one sends a proposal to business, it gets
recognized and goes on the ballot. If six people vote affirmatively for it,
it recieves six affirmative votes. If it recieved more affirmative votes
than negative votes, it passes.

All the objections do is turn off rule 129, so it doesn't affirm the admin's
statments. But that's okay, 'cause the statements were already true. The
whole point of rule 129 is so that if the admin makes a mistake, like
allowing someone to do something that's technically illegal (for instance,
if someone w/ the sushi takes an unsushied action), then if nobody notices
within two nweeks that the action was illegal, it becomes legal. But if
someone says "Wait, e can't do that!", then 129 doesn't make it legal, and
the fact that it is illegal kicks in. The reason we have that rule is so
that if Scoff! throws a Gremlin w/out sushiing it, and someone else catches
it and it gets chucked left and right, and nobody notices that it was never
legally thrown in the first place, then we act as if it were legal.

You'll never see a positive result of 129, because it only kicks in if
nobody notices.

Although I contend that r129 does work as it is supposed to, I still think
there must be a better way to implement it. For one thing, the current
system, assuming an error is caught just before the end of the 2 nweek
period, and the case is appealed, could take over three nweeks to resolve an
issue. I'm not sure how things could be arranged to work faster without
compromising things, but I'm sure there must be some way to do it. I'll
think about it.

--Wonko

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
- Galileo Galilei