Eric Gerlach on 4 Mar 2002 06:30:32 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: CFJ

At 01:14 AM 2002-03-04 -0500, you wrote:
On 3/4/02 at 12:43 AM Eric Gerlach wrote:

>You still haven't convinced me that the Administrator's statement
>"dissapears".  Rule 129 never says anything about that.
>
>Bean

R129 says the game state is altered as if the Administrator's statement is true. For the game state to be altered upon the truth of the Administrator's statement, it presupposes the Administrator's statement exists. After all, if the Administrator's statement existed, it would have some effect on the game state even without r129.

True.

Yet, by r129, if an Administrator's statement is objected to, the game state is not altered to reflect the truth of said statement. The game state may not fundamentally change from said absence, if it can be determined by CFJs and consensus and all, but it specifically was not altered to reflect the truth of the objected-to statement (again, let's call it S.)

True.

The game state was altered, however, by the first subsequent Administrator statement that wasn't objected to (let's call it S+1); yet, since the game state specifically wasn't altered by S, the alteration caused by S+1 still won't result in a game state that was altered by S.

Uh.... true I think (me not have much brain at 1am).

But logic suggests that if the Administrator's statement existed, and especially if that statement was true, then it must have had an effect on the game state.

Here is the flaw in your logic. The administrator, except as explicitly outlined in the rules, does not in any way affect the game state. So, notwithstanding your objection to him saying that proposal 377 was on the ballot, it still was, *according to the rules*, which are our only guidepost in how to play this game.

In fact, if rule 129 didn't exist in the way it does now, and the Admin said the gamestate is blue... it wouldn't be, because the rules don't allow it (in fact, even with rule 129/2 it wouldn't be... until 20 days later). The Admin doesn't affect gamestate, if fact, the roles are reversed: Gamestate dictates what the Admin says (or at least that's how it should be).

Bean