Wonko on 16 Feb 2002 17:47:04 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: statute of limitations

Quoth Dan,

>> Because events in the past affect events in the present. If we can't
>> know what the past is, we can't know what the present is. Or,
>> depending on the wording, it wouldn't work because we could just CFJ
>> the parts of the current gamestate which were dependant on the past
>> actions, and thus get ourselves back in the "235 nweeks of
>> recalculation" position. We *need* to, at some point, change the
>> gamestate to what we say, or we'll have to redo all our records
>

> This is exactly why 129/2 is perilous.  Because until 20 days after an
> action has been taken we have no way of calculating the state the game was
> in at any time after that action.
>
> OTOH under 129/1 we had a game state at all times.  When an action is
> taken (or recognized) it affects the game state immediately.  CFJs can be
> used to reconstruct the game state if it turns out that the action was in
> error.
>
> How s this for a revised draft based strongly on 129/1:
>
> {{
> __Legality of Actions/Statute of Limitations__
>
> Actions taken in a public forum are assumed to be legal when recognized by
> the Administrator.  Otherwise they are assumed to be illegal, therefore
> not actions.
>
> Judgement of a CFJ may correct the recognition of the illegal only if the
> CFJ is submitted within two nweeks of the alleged illegal recognition.
>
> Judgement of a CFJ may correct the failure to reconize a legal action only
> if the CFJ is submitted within two nweeks of the alleged legal action.
>
> }}
>

> Dan

Wasn't that more or less what my 129/1 did, before Uin's clobbered it?

"Actions cannot occur unless they are recognized by the Administrator. When
an Action is recognized by the Administrator, it is treated as if it had
happened at the time when it reached the appropriate Fora. The Administrator
must recognize all actions unless e believes an action is either illegal or
destructive of play. The Admin must recognize all CFJ's. If the Admin
refuses to recognize an Action, e must declare so in a Public Forum. All
recognitions and refusals of recognition must happen in the same
chronological order as the Actions they respond to arrived in a Public
Forum."

But regardless of that, I like UP's idea of every few weeks having the Admin
declare what the state of the game is, and letting anyone object. I'm not
sure how that would be worded, though....

--
Wonko
Recruit today night it feels.