Gavin Doig on 7 Feb 2002 13:19:53 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: Proposal: Judgement/Propos al overhaul

> I disagree.  The original Nomic ruleset by Peter Suber, upon which our
> Berserker-derived ruleset was based, was heavily influenced by the US
> constitution.

Well... not just the constitution - those were the immutable rules, and the mutable ones were (like) the rest...

>  I believe it is one feature of the US constitution that at
> the highest level, courts have the power to strike down or change laws.
> Our CFJ system can be considered an analog to the court system, and should
> have the power to update the rules, the interpretation of rules, or
> arbitrarily change the game state to a state from which play can continue.

But it's not really a particularly close analog, and nor should it be. What you're doing, making CFJs into things which are voted on and can change the game, is basically making CFJs into proosals. Proosals are fine, I like proosals, but we already *have* them.

If you're bringing up Suber's initial rules, consider that they're much more closely modelled on the US system that ours, and they have CFJs as ways of determining which interpretation of the ruleset is correct (which is where I get the idea from).

uin.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a