Jonathan Van Matre on 30 Jan 2002 15:47:14 -0000

spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: Proposal: Gender Recognition

This is all good up to the last sentence.  While I've embraced Spivak as a matter of game custom, as far as the OED and the latest edition of the Chicago Manual of Style are concerned, use of the singular "they" for gender-neutral references is appropriate.  *Chaucer* used the singular "they"  In addition, most manuals of style also approve of (but generally abhor and discourage) use of s/he or he/she.

As a matter of personal usage, I tend to use the singular "they", and regular switching from one gender to the other in some cases where I'm using fictional characters to illustrate non-fictional points.  When I'm writing something, for nomic or elsewhere, Spivak is the last thing that comes naturally.  With the exception of rabid net-nomic fans, I can't imagine it comes naturally to anyone.

I'm not a fan of anything that is going to penalize players for using a grammatically-correct, gender-neutral pronoun that just happens to differ from the ones prescribed in your list, especially when habits of usage outside the game make it almost certain that every one of us will eventually make this mistake unintentionally.

Spivak should be like standard delimiters--customary, but not required.

And you had better not be requiring the gender-specific pronouns when a player's gender is known--keeping track of everyone's gender all the time would be too much work, and probably kill whatever fun we're currently getting out of having gender in the first place.

--Scoff!