Doig, Gavin on 21 Jan 2002 13:12:07 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proosal

Title: RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proosal

> If Uncle Psychosis' Proposal 277/1 ("The dust you seldom see") passes and
> Uncle Psychosis' Proposal 279 ("Walk unafraid") fails in repealing Rule 10,
> Uncle Psychosis will have created a paradox because both Rule 10 and the
> rule resulting from Proposal 227 will declare that "This rule takes
> precedence over all other rules."
>
> No two rules can simultaneously take precedence over each other.

We'll have a situation where one rule claims one thing, and another rule claims another. The fact that what they claim is to have precedence over each other is irrelevant. If rule 10 said "X is false", and the new rule (whatever number it gets) said "X is true", then, yes, the p227 rule would state that something was true which was false. That's not a paradox, that's the precedence system. Like Rob says, r10 wins. It's either that, or we have a paradox every time any 2 rules conflict with each other about anything - not really a sensible interpretation.

If we didn't have precedence, then it would be a paradox, because we'd have no way of deciding which of them wins.

Although, even if it were a paradox... so what? That's only important if they conflict with each other over something that'll cause the gamestate to be undecidable, and I can't see how that would happen. Especially since rule 10 doesn't *do* anything.

Having said that, I guess this might be considered the asked-for example of rule 10 being harmful. Repeal rule 10! ;-)

uin.

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended recipients(s)") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is  privileged, proprietary and/or confidential within the meaning of applicable  law. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender of this message as soon as possible.

The views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and may not necessarily be the views held by Azurgroup Limited