Greg Ritter on 20 Jan 2002 23:58:12 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Immunity Idol

At 12:58 PM 1/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Maybe the immunity idol should only protect players from negative effects caused by gremlins... if it didn't, right now it has the possibility of doing more harm then good, really (re: scoring gremlin, bandwidth gremlin). I dunno, maybe that was your intent, gritter. Anyway, maybe that should be thought about... Actually, now that I think about it, the Bandwidth Gremlin's power stems from the Token, not the Gremlin emself. Would that get around the idol? Or do the two rules contradict, because the Idol says that no rule can create a gremlin which circumvents the idol's protection. That's kind of vague... We definately should look at this before the ballot comes out...

I actually thought of that when I was writing the proposal and decided to leave it purposefully all-encompassing.

First, it would be hard to legislate what "negative" is, because some effects are a bit more ambiguous than that. Trying to make it more specific also would be fruitless because there's no limit to the number of gremlins people could propose in the future and they could just write the gremlin's actions around whatever I specifically identified.

Second, I like double-edged swords. :-) The Immunity Idol might protect you from the negative effects of a Gremlin, but it also might screw you (if for example you received the Bandwidth Gremlin).

The Token/Gremlin distinction is interesting, though....

--gritter