David E. Smith on 4 Dec 2001 23:21:11 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: what am I missing?

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Jorg Rathlev wrote:

> > Okay, I've got a nice polished ruleset worked out, I hope. Look at
> >
> > http://www.nomic.net/~g6/
>
> Uhh, "Motion" isn't defined anywhere.

So far as I can tell, it wasn't defined anywhere in the ending ruleset of
A Nomic either. (It was covered under Rule 120/0, but that rule was
rendered obsolete long before I joined the game.)

The text of that rule sorta implies a whole bunch of other rules as well.
Here it is:

"A Motion consists of one or more potential Motive Orders, as specified in
the Rules specific to the Motion.

Motions may be Privileged or Restricted. Privileged Motions may be made by
any Player at any time, while Restricted Motions may be made only as
specified in their respective Rules. Motions are revisable.

Every motion must have a unique Motion number. The base Motion number is
1."

That rule, by its letter, also requires the definition of Motive Order;
I'm trying to avoid having a 50+ rule initial ruleset here, friend. :)

Point taken, though. Is this sufficiently clear?

"A Motion is a formal request for a change in the Rules, and must dictate,
as precisely as possible, the nature of the rule changes to be enacted
upon its successful passage."

This deliberately ignores most other types of motions, which will no doubt
come into being soon enough. :)

...dave