Benjamin Bradley on 9 May 2001 00:29:27 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: a question

Welcome to the game David!

before we began the game, we had a long discussion about how to resolve
conflicting rules, and decided simply not to legislate it. When two rules
conflict, and someone makes an RFJ, it is up to the discression of the
judge to decide.

I don't think we have any immutable rules. All rules are mutable.
I don't think they're necessary either. Mutability was included in Suber's
initial ruleset becuase the game he outlined was to be played
face-to-face, with players individually taking turns proposing rule
changes and voting on them. I think the voting system we have set up in A
Nomic is more secure and therefore does not need a mutability clause.

On Wed, 9 May 2001, David Chudzicki wrote:
> I have a question about the rules set of A Nomic (this nomic game).
> Contained in the initial set of a traditional namic game is a rule that when
> rules conflict, the rule with the lower number shall be followed.  While I
> have little experience with Nomic, I get the impression that this is one
> rule that often lasts (and is quite useful).  But I do not see it in the
> rule set of A Nomic.  I'm curious as to the reason for that.  Was it
> contained in the initial set?  Is there no rule at all addressing priority
> of rules?
> Also, the initial set of nomic usually includes a distinction between
> "mutable" and "immutable" rules. I understand if one doesnt want that exact
> distinction, but does it make sense for all rules to be equally easy to
> change (as appears to be the case)?
> Also, the answer to question 3 at "http://www.nomic.net/~g1/index.html"; is
> apparently out of date.  The answer references rule 210/2 and says that a
> motion to become a player requires 3-day unanimous consent.  The current
> version of that rule is 210/3 and only requires 2-day unanimous consent.
>
> Sincerely,
> David Chudzicki

- Benjamin Bradley - "these strange things happen all the time"
- http://lostpoet.tripod.com/
- whee life what a rush