Jorg Rathlev on 23 Mar 2001 17:29:58 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: All right! We've got Cards!

> No, Every different game should specify the deck used, (blue, red,
> fish..) and have separate dealing rules. this way we can play different
> games or even different sets of the same game at the same time. I'm
> thinking about a proposal for this and I'll submit it later today (or
> tomorrow :).
> Basically I will propose to tag all the decks we have as "free". When
> someone wants to start a game of cards he must first get a minimum
> number of players to join the game then he can take a free deck (or
> more than one if the rules of the game require it) and tag it as "In
> use".
> When the game ends the deck becomes free again.

Yea, that sounds like a good idea. I've had the idea of organizing card games as parties, but I've not thought about the distribution of cards. Here's my proposal, I think it might work with your suggestion of dealing cards. Hmmm, I ought to add a provision that prevents games from being started without a deck, I guess :-)

\begin{proposal}
\title{Card Games}

Create a new rule entitled "Cards: Card Games" with the following text:

"Card games are a special type of parties. The name of a card game shall be of the form "Party of X Players", where X is the name of the game played within that party. Card games have three additional attributes: game status (either 'Playing' or 'Waiting'), minimum number of players and maximum number of players (which may be infinite).

Membership for card games shall be governed by the following rules:

1) When the game status is 'Playing', no new members my join the card game, and current members may leave the card game only if the rules allow them to do so.
2) When the game status is 'Waiting', and the number of members is smaller than the maximum number of players, new member may join the card game by publicly announcing that they do so. When the game status is 'Waiting', current members may also leave the card game at any time without restriction.

The rules of a card game shall be the rules for the game played within that party. They shall be available publicly and may be modified only by the player who created the card game, unless otherwise specified in the card game rules. They may never be modified when the game status is 'Playing'.

The status of a newly created card game is always 'Waiting'. The status changes to 'Playing' when the conditions for starting the game specified in the card game rules are met (or, if the rules don't specify any conditions, when all members agree to start the game) and the number of members is wihtin the limits of the minimum and maximum number of players.

The status changes from 'Playing' to 'Waiting' when the rules specify the game to be over."

\end{proposal}

One issue that needs to be solved is how to play with points, because there needs to be an agent who collects the points and distributes them to the winner(s) when the game is over, but parties aren't agents. Hmmm, maybe I should simply make a proposal to change that.

Joerg