Joel Uckelman on 12 Mar 2001 22:08:24 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: proposal: let's vote ourselves rich.

Quoth "Gavin M. Doig":
> > 2) Anyone voting for this proposal shall receive a special one off peace
> > dividend of 15 points, to be paid from the bank by the banker at the
> > conclusion of the voting period where this proposal is voted on.
>
> No. No no no. What a horrible idea.
>
> BLMP.

Well, this same sort of thing happened in Berserker twice, both times in
the same voting period. Three Proposals contained the provision that anyone
voting against them would be fined 10 points, and another would award 1000
points to, IIRC, Josh, Jeff, and Tom. Few people were voting right then,
and though I assumed that the 1000-point Proposal would pass, I wasn't
worried, since in needed only twentysome more points to get a win anyway.
As it turned out, I stupidly voted against all three of the 10-point
proposals and they passed. So I missed getting a win by fewer than 5
points, and then my score was reset! Anyway, this experience made me an
opponent of such Proposals, though, oddly, more likely to vote for them.

That said, what should we do about it?

--
J.