Joel Uckelman on 12 Mar 2001 17:28:55 -0000

spoon-discuss: dice server

In case anyone needs one, there's a rudimentary dice roller now available
at http://www.nomic.net/~test/cgi-bin/rand.pl, in case you need some random
numbers. The input format should be familiar to anyone who's played a lot
of wargames or RPGs. Dice are specified as qdn, where q is the quantity and
n is the number of faces; e.g., 7d6 would be seven six-siders. I haven't
analysed the data yet to test its randomness, but it uses /dev/urandom, and
that seems to be a good source based on samples from it I've tested.

In the distant future, I'll probably spruce up the interface, add some
error-checking (it doesn't complain about non-integer or negative numbers
of faces or rolls), allow it to respond to mailed requests for numbers, and
move it to dice.nomic.net on one of my DECstations (to give it something to
do).

--
J.