Dan on 11 Mar 2001 07:08:11 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: Create new points

> This is precisely what my proposal (new player == 500 points in the bank)
> is supposed to address. I probably should change it so that, instead of
> the fixed value of 500, it creates the number of points currently required
> to be credited with a win. (This could get weird if, later on, someone
> redefines winning so that points aren't part of the criteria, but that
> bridge can be burned when we get there.)
>
> Good/bad idea? (I'm not actually sure...)

I think it's a good idea.  But we probably don't need to have as many as
500 points per player--not everyone will have 500 at once, and creating
that many excess points takes all pressure off the Banker and the Tax
Collector to keep the Bank expenses and revenues somewhat balanced.  It is
possible for a player to have 500 points and not win, but after about 500
the number of points becomes irrelevant because of a lack of things to do
with them.

Perhaps we could get away with only 200 points per player: 150 owned by
the bank and 50 owned by the player.  That way they won't have to worry
about being unable to pay their debts if they have a bad first nweek.  And
also they have to find some way to earn the starting-points of other
players, rather than just the ones created for them by the bank.

Poulenc