Dan Waldron on 30 Jan 2001 17:25:01 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Bank Actions

 > Hmmm. Yeah, I agree that the Bank needs more funds as it currently stands.
> As it is, our economy is sort of odd. The Bank is the only "employer", yet
> no one "buys" much from the Bank. In such a situation, the Bank can't help
> but become impoverished---unless it has mint powers, which our Bank does.
> So, to keep afloat, the Bank will take the inflationary step of issuing
> more Points. Our current Rules and the traditional size relation among the
> Awards forces us into a position of continually devaluing our currency. On
> the other hand, we have an absolute goal, in the sense that the condition
> for winning is not relative to the total quantity of Points in circulation,
> which somewhat mitigates inflation. I'm not sure what to make of this---I'm
> no economist---but because of the win condition, there aren't any
> real-world analogues.

We could make it so that players have to buy the ability to make proposals
from the bank.  Instead of a failed proposal fine, usually large, that
whacks players when their proposals fail, we could charge 10 points to
make a proposal and give out maybe 15 when one passes.  The banker and tax
collector would have to adjust those values to keep the system about even.

Poulenc.