Joel Uckelman on 15 Nov 2000 21:08:47 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: P338

Quoth "Harrison, Andrew":
> > From: Joel Uckelman [mailto:uckelman@xxxxxxxxxxx]
> >
> > I noticed that P338 doesn't affect the way Judges are
> > selected, which may
> > be a bad thing. Currently, the Officer responsible for
> > selecting Judges may
> > do so any way e wishes. Because I select Judges in my capacity as
> > Administrator, I see the fair selection of Judges as something like a
> > sacred trust. However, someone elected to the proposed OSJ
> > may not see it
> > the same way, and under the current rules could be as
> > arbitrary in Judge
> > selection as e wanted. Maybe this should be corrected.
>
> Ok, I'll add a bit that says the selection must be 'random' and that the OSJ
> should say exactly how the selection was determined if someone asks. I also
> think that the OSJ should be able to exclude further people from the
> selection if they would have a vested interest in the judgement. At the
> moment the Plantiff is exluded and there is no notion of a Defendant. In
> some RFJ's there would be another Player who the RFJ is against, clearly
> this Player should be excluded from Judgement too. Since the OSJ is elected
> we can always vote them out if they abuse their positiion.
>
> --
> The Kid

Actually, I don't see non-random judge selection as a bad thing
necessarily, but maybe a five nweek term distances abuses too much from
ultimate accountability. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not opposed to
discretionary powers granted to Officers, so long as there exist checks on
the abuse of those powers.

--
J.

--