Jeff Gitchel on Thu, 20 May 2010 07:31:06 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Newbie Looking for the Mentor Pool

On 20/05/2010, at 1:37, James Baxter <jebaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> From: gitchel@xxxxxxxxx
>> To: spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx
>> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:04:15 -0500
>> Subject: [s-b] Newbie Looking for the Mentor Pool
>>

>> Being a new player, and eager to get down to it, I'd like me a mentor. Do we have anyone available in the pool?
>>

>> --
>> Jeff Gitchel
>> jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://perseveration.org
>> http://turtlemoon.org
>> twitter: gitchel
>> 515 664 3641
>
> Well, looking at the Rule on mentors, I would say there's some ambiguity concerning the mentor pool. Rule 69 allows for People to join and leave the pool but does not state who is initially in the pool. Since it states that the mentor pool contains players who are neither newbies nor mentors, I think most Players are available for selection as mentors.
>
> The second point that must be considered is that the mentor pool was created at a point when there were many players eligible to be in it so those players will have all been in the mentor pool for the longest and could all be mentors for Gitchel.
>
> That said, I assign Murphy as mentor for Gitchel and I'll let Rule 45 sort it out.

Well, the Minister has spoken. So, as I understand it, Murphy becomes my mentor.

However, Murphy has, announced an objection to that ruling. So, we would resort to something like a CFI next.

Seems a bit excessive just to get a little education. So, let's skip all that, and just try a few things out. I'll let the results teach me.

Since it appears the mentor pool is empty, and the only recourse under that rule is for players to be encouraged to join it, and the only other cure was for a proclamation to force someone into it, and that has now led to a litigious remedy I prefer not to peruse, I'm going to go Rule 22 on it.

I am announcing my assumption of the position of Mentor to myself.

 I am aware that the rule on Mentorsip(sic) prohibits a newbie from being in the Mentor pool but, as is obvious from the previous exchange, it is not required for a Mentor to have been in the pool to become a Mentor. Otherwise, I'm sure James would have simply put Murphy in the pool first. Since the newbie prohibition applies to the pool, and not to Mentorship, I see no barrier to my becoming a Mentor by announcement. Nor to becoming my own mentor.

Also, I think it carries some points with it. So I'll certainly have points when it comes time to divvy out the award for having been a successful Mentor in two nweeks.

Unless this gets me in trouble, of course.

Gitchel