comex on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:34:28 -0700 (MST)

[s-b] fire and water

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Joel Uckelman <uckelman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thus spake Geoffrey Spear:
>> A Nomic was highly pragmatized.  The Administrator announced that the
>> game was over, and while this was probably illegal at the time, the
>> Statute of Limitations rule made it legal 2 nweeks later.  Only one
>> game is happening on this mailing list.
>

> You know, that's funny. I had entirely fogotten about that. The Statute of
> Limitation *did* end the game, so long as my announcement counted as a
> game action.

I can't find any such message around Dec 2001 when B started.  The
only relevant message (by David E. Smith) contains:
{
I hereby declare this day, 5 December 2001, to be the first day of nweek 1
in "B Nomic" and that the game is officially underway.
}
nothing about A ending.  Joel did not post any business message about
A ending for at least a year after that, so if this was some
after-the-fact announcement of closure, someone needs to point me to
when it was made.

But even if such an announcement was made AND it counted as an action,
the Statute of Limitation did not ratify it.  Rule 393/0 reads:
{
No Judgement shall change the effect of actions performed more than
two nweeks before the corresponding RFJ was made, even if those
actions were illegal or impossible. Such actions shall always be
treated as if they were legal and possible.
}

Yes, it has been much more than two nweeks since the purported action,
but there have *not* been more than two nweeks between the action and
the corresponding RFJ, because no corresponding RFJ was ever made.
For the last several years, if in fact such an A-is-dead message was
made, anyone could have ambiguously made it effective by RFJing on it,
but nobody did.

However, on March 4-- nweek 314, nday 4 (give or take an nday), having
noticed this, I posted the following:
{
I hereby become the Administrator.
I hereby create a new Rule which reads: { comex can change the rules
in any way by posting that e does so to a Public Forum. }
}

I've been waiting since then.  It is now March 29, nweek 317, nday 2.
There have been two full nweeks between that action and now (plus
several extra days), so it is unambiguously more than two nweeks
later.

I make a Request for Judgement on the Statement: { comex became the
Administrator in the above-quoted message. }
I make a Request for Judgement on the Statement: { comex created a
rule in the above-quoted message. }

Those actions, performed more than two nweeks before the corresponding
RFJs above, shall always be treated as if they were legal and
possible.  I am the administrator and there is a rule allowing me to
change the rules at will.

I hereby change the rules by amending Rule 393 (Statute of Limitation)
to read, in its entirety:
{
No actions can be made in the game of A Nomic except by comex.
}

Now, once more-- does anyone want to play A Nomic?  If so, I'll
unfreeze the game and remove the dictatorship, and we can finally get
started.