Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:10:31 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] Consultation

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Ed Murphy <emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> c-walker wrote:
>
> > I submit the following consultation:
> > {
> >
> > Is Agora an Agreement?
>
> This is Consultation 227.  I assign it to Priest Billy Pilgrim.

I Answer this Consultation YES.

Reasoning:
{
Agora fulfills all requirements, laid out in Rule 5-1 (Agreements), to be
recognized as an Agreement by B Nomic. Aside from the poor phrasing of the
requirements (is the "Agreement" itself a contract-like text? An abstract
entity? A set of texts?), which I believe allows for an interpretation in
which "Agreement" encompasses multiple documents (e.g. Rules and a Player
List) as well as the abstract entity which can take Game Actions, the only
bone of contention is whether or not Agora is an Agreement "between two or
more External Forces called Parties". Only if it is so can it fulfill B's
definition of an Agreement. My reading is that unless the Agreement itself
refers to its members or participants as Parties, it cannot be considered an
Agreement.

Examination of the most recently published (yesterday) version of Agora's
Short Logical Ruleset shows that Rule 2145/6, called "Partnerships", refers
to participants as Parties. To my knowledge, most of Agora's Players are
Parties to at least one Partnership, though there are quite likely
exceptions among quite ancient or quite new Players. However, I do not
believe that Rule 5-1 requires that ALL participants in an Agreement be
called Parties - just that at least 2 of them be. I know that at least 2
Players of Agora (myself and ais523, and many more) are Parties.

The question of whether a Player of Agora who is not a Party to any
Partnerships is considered by B to be a part of the Agreement named Agora
remains open.
}

Billy Pilgrim, who is only partially satisfied with his answer and was
planning on an oracularity to clear up the confusing language of Rule 5-1,
but who will instead wait and submit a more radical overhaul of Agreements
as a Proposal