James Baxter on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:46:19 -0700 (MST)

[s-b] Consultation 224

> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:51:51 -0700
> From: emurphy42@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [s-b] Reassignment of Consultation 224
>
> I assign Consultation 224 to Priest JamesB.

I answer Consultation 224 NO.

Reasoning: Rule 1-4 states that "An External Force may become a Player by posting a message to a Public Forum containing a request to become a Player and a uniquely identifying name that e wishes to be known by."

The message in question did contain a request to become a player (although it was not the sender's request, this does not matter). The uniquely identifying name is ambiguous because many Players cannot translate the string delimited by quote marks and Rule 1-4 states: "Where a player's name might be ambiguous with other grammatical forms, it may be surrounded by double quote characters (") to differentiate it from surrounding text."

If we take that section of the message to be a quote the the message is ineffective because I do not believe that quoted actions happen as the quoter (Consultation 213 discussed this but the record on the wiki does not show it being reassigned after it was declared inconsistent). The only logical conclusion, therefore, is that the paragraph of Rule 1-4 that explains how quote marks delimit names is being invoked.

So there is no Player named "Codae". There is either a player named "Yu wopill zvakikilrng." or Justin Ahmann is not a Player, either way the answer is NO.

(I know this is a bit unreasonable but what do you expect when people try to be clever about joining?)

I submit the following Ocularity associated with Consultation 224:

{If the External Force with the email address quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is not a Player, he becomes a Player. The name which the External Force with the email address quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx shall be known by is "Codae".}