Ed Murphy on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:58:11 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [s-d] Proposal: Commentary: The Musical!

j wrote:

> Rule text _in other rules_'

This version doesn't need the exception, but upon further reflection, it
should be guarded against breaking if the "what force does comment text
have?" clause is changed.

Billy Pilgrim wrote:

> Also, I'd suggest adding in something that clarifies that rules are
> individual documents, and that the ruleset is not one continuous block. Just
> in case we end up with a stray bracket in one rule, then it won't ruin every
> other rule in its section till the next comment...

This, however, is a good catch.  I revise the proposal in question
to read as follows:

Create a rule titled "Comments" with this text:  {

Except for this sentence, rule text appearing between [[ and the next ]]
within the same rule, or between /* and the next */ within the same
rule, is comment text.

Comment text is generally used to give examples and/or expectations, and
loses precedence if it conflicts with non-comment rule text [[ e.g. the
rules have changed such that an example is no longer accurate ]], but
otherwise has the force of rule.

}